After salt, ghee is the second-most important thing that goes in almost every single Pakistani dish. Pakistani people can’t even think of eating their food without having ghee in it. Foods like biryani, korma, nihari, and haleem are some of the most famous Pakistani foods where ghee is used in large quantities.
It depends on the brand, quality, and packaging of the ghee. However, in general, ghee is a relatively affordable cooking oil in Pakistan. A 500g pack of ghee typically costs around PKR 300-400. And 1 kg ghee price in pakistan is around 500 to 700 per KG at present. The prices keep going up and down.
Also, if you’re willing to buy desi ghee then that would be way more expensive than the normal ghee. The price of desi ghee in Pakistan per kg ranges from PKR 1,200 to PKR 2,200. Brand, quality, and packaging determine the price.
Ghee Price in Pakistan Today 1 December, 2023 | 1 Kg Banaspati Ghee Rate in Pakistan
|Ghee Brand||Price in Pkr|
|Dalda Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 560|
|Habib Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 525|
|Mezan Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 530|
|Tullo Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 540|
|Sufi Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 545|
|Shan Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 520|
|Sultan Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 530|
|Asia Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 550|
|Soya Supreme Ghee||Rs. 525|
|Kisan Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 515|
|Awam Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 520|
|Kisan Banaspati Ghee||Rs. 525|
Uses of Banaspati Ghee
- There’s no better cooking oil than ghee.
- Ghee is a dairy-free alternative to butter or oil.
- Ayurvedic medicine uses ghee for its healing properties.
- A moisturiser and skin softener, ghee is used in cosmetics.
- Ghee is used in traditional remedies for a variety of ailments.
Production of Ghee in Pakistan
According to the United Nations, Pakistan is the 4th largest producer of ghee in the world. In 2022, the country produced about 1.2 million tons of ghee. Traditionally, ghee in Pakistan is made from cow or buffalo milk by small-scale producers using traditional methods.
Types of Banaspati Ghee
How Banaspati Ghee is Made?
Banaspati ghee is a processed cooking oil commonly used in Pakistan. Unlike traditional ghee made from butter, banaspati ghee is produced through a multi-step industrial process. Vegetable oils like palm or cottonseed oil undergo hydrogenation, transforming them into a semi-solid state resembling ghee. Additives like emulsifiers and antioxidants are often mixed to enhance texture and shelf life.
Ghee Mills in Pakistan
Factors Affecting Ghee Price in Pakistan
Ghee prices in Pakistan are affected by the following factors.
- The price of milk: As you guys may already know, the normal ghee that you use in your foods is made up of milk. So, the price of milk affects its price a lot.
- Production Cost: Ghee’s price is also affected by its production cost. This includes the cost of raw materials, labour, and transportation.
- The demand for ghee: When the ghee is in demand, such as when there is a festival, the prices of the ghee usually go up. Because the demand for ghee is very high during that time.
- Government policies: Ghee prices can also be affected by government policies. If the government taxes normal ghee, the price will go up.
- The exchange rate: The exchange rate between the Pakistani rupee and the US dollar also affects the price of normal ghee. A depreciating Pakistani rupee means higher prices for normal ghee.
Pros and Cons of Using Ghee
Ghee is widely used for various purposes and has both pros and cons associated with its consumption. Here’s an overview of the potential benefits and drawbacks of using ghee:
Benefits of Ghee
- Ghee has a rich, nutty flavor that can enrich the taste of dishes and add depth to the overall flavor of food.
- During the clarification process, milk solids are removed from ghee, which makes it virtually lactose-free.
- Ghee contains fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E, and K, as well as antioxidants that can have potential health benefits.
- Desi ghee is among the finest of all time regarding healthy diet and medical benefits.
Drawback of Ghee
- Ghee is calorie-dense and high in saturated fat. Excessive consumption can cause weight gain and heart disease.
- Ghee has high cholesterol, which can be a concern for people of Pakistan with high cholesterol levels or those at risk of heart disease.
- The production of ghee, particularly when sourced from animal agriculture, can have environmental impacts
In conclusion, ghee holds a significant cultural and culinary importance in Pakistan, playing a central role in traditional dishes and tastes. The fluctuation of ghee price in Pakistan over the years has been influenced by some factors, such as global oil prices, local agricultural conditions, and economic trends. While the cost of ghee may vary, its timeless appeal remains unwavering among consumers across the country.
Frequently Asked Questions